Are you thinking of starting a farm? Maybe you are an experienced farmer or waterman looking to diversify, expand or update your business. Either way, there are a number of resources and tools at your disposal to make the process easier. Contact us at email@example.com to learn more!
Agricultural Service Provider Organizations
Calvert County Agricultural Preservation
205 Main Street, Prince Frederick MD 20678
Landowners restrict development on their property in perpetuity through federal, state, county and non-profit programs which use easements or transferrable development rights. Calvert County Agricultural Preservation is managed through Calvert County Government’s Planning and Zoning Department.
Calvert Soil Conservation District
489 Main Street, Suite 101, Prince Frederick, MD 20678
P.O. Box 657, Prince Frederick, MD 20678
Calvert Soil Conservation District is a partnership organization of farmers, federal, state, county and non-profit programs, which provides information about soil stabilization during construction and the conservation of natural resources on properties. They also host an equipment rental program.
Farm Service Agency - United States Department of Agriculture
26737 Radio Station Way, Suite A, Leonardtown, MD 20650
Phone: 301-475-8431, ext. 2
The USDA's Farm Service Agency administers loan, commodity, disaster assistance and conservation funding programs for farmers. They maintain private farm records to support program usage.
Maryland Department of Agriculture
50 Harry S. Truman Parkway, Annapolis, MD 21401
The Maryland Department of Agriculture promotes, preserves and protects agriculture through developing marketing opportunities, mediating agricultural conflicts, promoting animal health, assuring food quality, educating growers and the public about plant and animal pest management for several crops and land uses, inspecting agricultural products, calibrating commercial measurement equipment, and regulating agricultural products. They also partner with local programs for conserving and preserving natural resources, as well as recognizing success in agriculture.
Maryland Department of Natural Resources
580 Taylor Avenue, Annapolis, MD 21401
Phone: 1-877-620-8DNR (8367)
The Maryland Department of Natural Resources promotes, preserves and protects the managed growth of natural resources through their forestry and aquaculture programs. They also manage public lands along with hunting, trapping, fishing and boating programs.
Maryland Fruit, Hops, Vegetable and Wine Grape Resources
University of Maryland Extension and SMADC offer focused resources for fruit, hops, vegetable and wine grape growers on a variety of topics including disease, marketing, production and pest management.
- Horticulture and Disease Topics | University of Maryland Extension
- Organic Vegetable Production | University of Maryland Extension
- Grapes and Fruit | University of Maryland Extension
- SMADC Small Fruits Portal | Getting started with small fruits and hops in Southern Maryland
Maryland Horse Industry Board
The Maryland Horse Industry Board is a section of the Maryland Department of Agriculture which promotes horse disciplines and related industries, as well as regulates equine operations open to the public.
Maryland Poultry Resources
The University of Maryland Extension offers focused resources for growers of smaller flocks of different types of poultry.
Maryland Small Ruminant Resources
A retired University of Maryland Extension Sheep and Goat Specialist created an informational website for sheep and goat producers which includes webinars, podcasts, research results, previous newsletters, related calendars, frequently asked questions, enterprise budget spreadsheets, infographics, apps and articles.
MidAtlantic Women in Agriculture Program
The MidAtlantic Women in Agriculture Program is a University of Maryland Extension program which provides knowledge and resources to women who share a passion for agriculture.
Most Maryland agricultural operations are subject to Nutrient Management Law. Resources available include laboratory analysis, program support and continued education training.
- Agricultural Nutrient Management Program | University of Maryland Extension
- Agricultural Nutrient Management Lab Information | University of Maryland Extension
- Soil Sampling Procedures for Nutrient Management | University of Maryland Extension
- Nutrient Management Training
Southern Maryland Agricultural Development Commission (SMADC)
15045 Burnt Store Rd, Hughesville, MD 20637
P.O. Box 745, Hughesville, MD 20637
Phone: 240-528-8850 email
SMADC is a division of the Tri-County Council for Southern Maryland which provides farmer and consumer resources including information, events, guides, grant and loan partnerships, workshops and infrastructure to support agricultural diversification. Their programs focus on Southern Maryland counties, but some programs and information are available across all of Maryland.
University of Maryland Extension
30 Duke St., Prince Frederick, MD 20678
P.O. Box 486, Prince Frederick, MD 20678
Phone: 410-5353-3662 Contact Us
University of Maryland Extension offers county-wide educational programming for nutrition, finances and digital access. They also provide access to research, agricultural education for children and adults, natural resources education through nutrient management, watershed restoration and Master Gardener programming.
Agricultural Membership Associations
Dues or fees often apply to access the services of these organizations:
- American Chestnut Land Trust
- American Farmland Trust
- Annie’s Project
- Calvert County Farm Bureau - Email
- Calvert County Forestry Board - Email
- Calvert County Watermen’s Association - Email
- Colonial Farm Credit
- End Hunger in Calvert County
- Farming 4 Hunger
- Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund - Mission Statement
- Future Harvest-Chesapeake Alliance for Sustainable Agriculture - Email
- Maryland Grown Flowers - Maryland Cut Flower Growers Association (MCFGA)
- Maryland Grain Producers
- Maryland Grape Growers Association
- Maryland Horse Council
- Maryland Organic Food and Farming Association
- Maryland Soybean Board
- Maryland Wineries Association
- National Association for the Self-Employed
- Calvert County 4-H and Youth Development
- Calvert County Agricultural Preservation Advisory Board
- Calvert County Farm Bureau
- Calvert Soil Conservation District
- Critical Area Reforestation Committee
- End Hunger in Calvert County
- Farm Credit Administration
- Farming 4 Hunger
- Maryland Department of Agriculture
- Maryland Department of Natural Resources
- Maryland Farm & Harvest
- Maryland FARMLINK
- So Maryland, So Good
- Southern Maryland Agricultural Development Commission (SMADC)
- Tri-County Council for Southern Maryland
- University of Maryland Extension – Calvert County
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)